Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Save The Chicks

I have tried a lot many times , but without any success to leave them alone. The longest stretch was perhaps from my high school time to college-first year. But all the noble intentions were gone when I saw couple of my friends relishing them intently . I tried hard but succumbed to the temptation. ....................... the absolute delicacy 'Butter Chicken' is.

Since then I have tried again and again to give up meat and live on veggies, but have failed each and every single time. And right now I am trying once more. History may repeat, principles of simple harmonic motion may apply again, but here is why I believe that I stand a reasonable chance to leave the chicks once and forever this time.

But before going further let me go through couple of the most common (not based on principles of non-violence by MK Gandhi) arguments given by meat-haters to leave the meat to whom it belong

  1.  It ups the food pyramid of our consumption. In layman terms, 10 kg of grains that a poultry animal will consume will give 1kg of meat. In a world where we can already feel the pinch of food shortage, this is something not we can afford
  2. Conditions in which most of the poultry is  processed to be converted into meat is at best, extreme in-humane.

In fact these have always been the two strong pillars on which I have tried to build my foundation of 'loving the chicks'. And this is exactly where I was wrong.

We humans fortunately/unfortunately have been given strong sense of reasoning. Give 10 bulleted points of reason to any one and one will always find his own ten set of reasons to reason against it. So this this time I asked my self a simple question.

What if some-how one comes up with a genetically modified super-breed of chicken which converts 100 % of the food it consumes to flesh and doesn't feel any pain. What would my stance be then? What would be your stance then?

It is not unless you start to love them, you can truly leave their flesh to their own. Especially if one is bought up in a culture where it is okay to have them served on your meal plate. Once,  void of any reason, if you start to feel the 'not-okay' feeling while devouring them you would have reached the point where the pendulum will not oscillate back. For me it has happened, and thats why I can say this is going to be my last stand.

For at any point of time we all will agree - Love the chicks.





6 comments:

योगेश अग्रवाल said...

Great initiative to save chicks :-)

Amit said...

thanks :) .. will continue it further

Nihar said...

Good one Amit. You write well :-)

Amit said...

Thanks Nihar :)

Aditi Only said...

abstract form of writing... or may be my grey cells deceived me...

Amit said...

grey cells deceived you .. :)