Friday, May 13, 2011

Goan-Krishna-Soldier


The girl was crying madly. Apparently her husband has died in some war. She held on to me, cried, wept and asked me again where her husband was . I stood there, my head hung, trying hard to suppress my smile but wasn't quite successful. She looked at me in disgust and moved on; crying in front of another guy standing next to me. 
That was class fourth. I was playing the part of an Indian soldier and the girl was a war-widow. What exactly was my part? To march past the stage on to the tunes of Vande Mataram and standing next to a bawling woman head down. 40-50 mute seconds in total.

My college buddies might not find me quite the Keanu Reeves material, I did had occasional skirmishes with the stage spread out across my school-days. Now that I have grown old, I thought it would be a good idea to jot down those rare moments of my life. Moments, from which If I would have taken cues and pushed my luck in theatre\Hollywood\Tollywood, I very well might have been the 'Slum-Dog ' now.

But first things first and my  humble pranam to Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi. Why ?  Because thats how my long uneventful tryst with dais started. I was around 4-5 years old, but the images are still crystal clear. My buddy & I dressed as Gods were sitting in center with little girls dancing around us. And not that it is important, but of Lord Ganesha and Mata lakshmi, I wasn't Ganesha!

 Perhaps it was the aura surrounding me. I played little Krishna once during Janamastmi. I remember this because I had punched the guy playing Kansa so hard during the battle-finale, that I, Lord Krishna himself too had to hear a mouthful from his mom after the play. 
Was picked up once during Jagran to be dressed as Lord Shiva and carried around on a human bull . Thanks to generous devotees that was the fastest 200 bucks I have ever made. 

But the one that I cherish most would be the only dance I have ever performed. And for the only dance, it sure had every thing a 10 year could wish of. The dress was English , music was Goan, steps were part Salsa. We looked cute and our dance partners lovely (atleast that's what mom told me). And the dais was - Delhi's Talkatora stadium.  I would have love to post the picture but unfortunately my parents were too mesmerized to click any. Any case I would leave you with this.




4 comments:

Aakash said...

OMG! I didn't know any of these. 4 yrs u spent with me in college and 4 yrs after that... but this is new to me.... and man, i loved the parts tht u played :D Where is Ujjwal Singh Gover??? Loved to hear his comments on this.....

Amit said...

thats about it.... Nothing more (interesting) left to be known about me. ....

Preeti said...

Its really very nice.. I enjoyed reading with full of smiles on my face some time giggles :)

Amit said...

:)... yup... this one brings smiles on me too